Cwmgors 3 Trebanos 22

Tuesday 4th May 2010

Trebanos Overcome Cwmgors In Physical Encounter

A rather unfamilar looking Cwmgors side, bolstered by several permitted players from local clubs, adopted an overly physical approach to this rearranged league fixture, just four days ahead of Trebanos's forthcoming appearance in Saturday's Swalec Bowl Final at the Millennium Stadium. Fortunately, Trebanos came through unscathed, the only real injury of the night being sustained by a member of the home team who, unfortunately, suffered what appeared to be a dislocated or broken ankle and was taken by ambulance to hospital for further treatment. We wish him a speedy recovery.

Trebanos visited Cwmgors to play the re-arranged January game and made fourteen changes from last Saturday's team. With a huge game at Cardiff on Saturday, coaches Rhod Jones and Paul Johnson wanted as many players as possible to avoid action this week. The call went out to former tight head prop Richard Walker, who willingly appeared out of semi-retirement for this game and what a night he had; good for you Richard.

Kristian Jones kicked off for Trebanos, in their South West Division 5 league game, needing to win to stay in touch with league leaders Neath Athletic. The ball was gathered by Arwel Williams who sent it back into the grateful hands of Kris Jones who found touch on the Cwmgors 22 metre line. The Cwmgors forwards won ball and drove on before Phil Davies sent a kick down field only for Kris Jones to return back on the Cwmgors 22 metre line.

Cwmgors with a big pack of forwards were winning ball at the lineout but Trebanos drove them off the ball and with the decisions seeming to go Cwmgors’s way, and fussy referee, W Davies, Cardiff, not allowing any advantage, play was contained within the 22 metre lines. However, after five minutes play Cwmgors attacked Trebanos on the half way line, but it was Tom Carney who got across with a tackle and scavenged the ball; it was passed to Jordan Hopkins, on to Michael Morris and back to Jordan Hopkins, the Trebanos speedster beat the centre on the half way line and outpaced the cover defence to score in the right hand corner try line. Kris Jones narrowly failed with the conversion.

Trebanos were now getting to grips with this game and veteran tight head prop Richard Walker gave an accomplished display of propping and the bigger Cwmgors pack had to concede ground at the scrummages. Rhys Jones playing at scrum half worked hard trying to keep tempo in the game and Cwmgors worked hard slowing it down. After 10 minutes Rhodri Davies was penalised for not releasing the ball and Cwmgors missed the penalty kick. Trebanos attacked through centre Gareth Hopkins with a scything run down the middle of the field; he was tackled 20 yards out, released the ball but the referee Mr Davies thought otherwise and awarded Cwmgors the penalty.

After 20 minutes Cwmgors were awarded a penalty in front of the posts for offside and Lee Howells duly obliged with three points. Trebanos came back strongly and attacked the Cwmgors line with barnstorming runs by Gareth Hopkins and Rhodri Williams, and not to be outdone, left wing Steve Williams got into the act with a strong run down the middle, only for the pass to go forward with second row Steve Morgan in possession and 15 yards out from the try line. Trebanos disrupted this scrummage and from the subsequent play Cwmgors were penalised for offside, from 35 yards Kris Jones kicked the penalty. Cwmgors 3 Trebanos 8

Kris Jones normally a scrum half but playing at outside half had an accomplished 15 minutes at the end of the first half and it was he who was the catalyst for the second try. His inch perfect kick to the corner bounced about a bit and first on the scene were the Hopkins boys; the ball was eventually won by Trebanos and dispatched via James Erasmus, Rhodri Davies and Tom Carney, who went diving over in the corner for the second try. Kris Jones kicked the conversion from the touchline. Cwmgors 3 Trebanos 15

From the kick off the Cwmgors forwards kept the ball and drove downfield to the Trebanos half way, outside half Lee Howells kicked them on to 10 yards from the line, where they won ball and 'Banos bravely defended their line for some five minutes with big tackles from all the players but especially from Amer Hussein, Steve Morgan and Damien Blake. Richard Walker received a yellow card for not releasing the player after a tackle and had 10 minutes spell in the 'bin', which increased the pressure, but eventually Trebanos cleared their lines with a penalty, awarded against Richard Clegg for stamping, but no yellow card!!

Half time: Cwmgors 3 Trebanos 15

The second half started in lively fashion Trebanos taking the game to the home team and attacking through their lively backs, firstly Gareth Hopkins, Rhodri Williams and then wing Steve Williams. Ten minutes into the second half Kris Jones sent a kick down to the Cwmgors 22 metre area and Jordan Hopkins followed up and put a tackle in on the full back before he could kick to touch. From the ensuing scrum, quicksilver Kris Jones made a break but was tackled a metre short of the line. Desperate defence by Cwmgors saved the day and Lee Howells once more kicked them out of danger.

With Richard Walker back on the field and Bradley Owens on for Rhodri Davies, it was that man Kris Jones again who, from broken play, gathered the ball, beat one man and made a telling pass for Steve Williams to break his tackle and power over for a try at the side of the posts. Kris Jones added the two points. Cwmgors 3 Trebanos 22

Cwmgors through their forwards attacked Trebanos in the right hand corner and penned them in this area with a series of line outs and driving mauls but disciplined defence and some quality tackling frustrated Cwmgors and they reverted to some questionable footwork for which they were penalised. The Cwmgors blind side was a 'thug' and was at it all the game; rugby is better off without this type. Trebanos relieved the pressure with a penalty kick from Kris Jones onto the half way line. From the line out a scrum was formed; Trebanos secured a free kick; taking it quickly scrum half Rhys Jones was away, but got held back by the Ystalyfera, oops!! sorry, Cwmgors scrum half who was duly yellow carded and sent to the bin for 10 minutes. Trebanos tried to keep the tempo of the game moving but the Cwmgors forwards mauled and drove on and played no expansive rugby and the game fizzled out somewhat.

With ten minutes to full time Richard Walker left the field after putting in a hard shift and Chris Balfe took over the tight head slot. The game came to life when Gareth Hopkins made a break, Rhodri Williams and Jordan Hopkins carried it on, the forwards arrived and some clever inter passing saw Trebanos's Kris Jones tackled short of the line once more. The simmering discontent that had displayed itself throughout the game now erupted and several players traded punches underneath the Cwmgors uprights. Not an exceptional advert for rugby.

Eventually order was restored and Trebanos kept up the attack on the Cwmgors line without ever crossing it. The ref had had enough and blew for time.

Final Score: Cwmgors 3 Trebanos 22

Trebanos Team:
M Morris; J Hopkins, G Hopkins, R Williams, S Williams; K Jones, R Jones; R Walker (C Balfe), D Davies, D Blake; S Morgan, J Erasmus (Capt); A Hussein, R Davies (B Owens), T Carney.