Trebanos 31 Seven Sisters 7

Saturday 6th May 2017

National League Division 1 West Central


A large number of former players were present at the Park, for the final home game of the 2016-17 season against near neighbours Seven Sisters; they joined the largest crowd there this year, to see whether the players could secure the two points needed to lift the Division 1 West Central title.

Before the match report, I have an apology to make to a player whose name I have consistently misspelt since I started writing the reports, the reason being that when employed by the Civil Service I was told that whatever spelling of a name in front of me, it was correct and not to query it, as the query may cause offence; well Steff, I copied your name along with all the other players names from the match programme for every match that I've written up.  It's a pretty lame excuse, but the only one I've got, SORRY STEFF!

Rhod Wills TryTrebanos kicked off, playing down the valley with what breeze there was, in their favour, Seven, responded by running the ball back at the hosts and any thoughts that the "faithful" might have had, that Seven had come just to make up the numbers, were quickly dispelled.  The powerful Seven backs linked with their big mobile forwards and took the game to 'Banos from the start, with flanker Dylan Howell and No8 J Hapgood  bursting from the fringes of the ruck situations and it was taking determined tackling to keep them in check, with the game being played between the 10mtr lines.  That all changed in the ninth minute, when exciting prospect Llyr Davies in the centre, broke Seven's defensive line making 30 mtrs into the heart of the visitors 22mtr area, passing to supporting skipper "Twm" Thomas, who set the ball back when tackled, for the half-backs to move the ball quickly to Steff Lewis, then to No8 Rhod Williams to cross near the posts, with full-back Luke Griffiths adding the conversion 7-0.

Steff Lewis TrySeven Sisters replied by running the ball, with their back row linking with the backs and were steadily making progress, if at a much slower rate than their hosts, patiently playing phase rugby, working across the pitch more than the direct threat offered by the home side.  From such pressure came the next score, only it was 'Banos who were celebrating; as centre Steff Lewis read the play and intercepted a Seven pass on his own 22mtr line, and was away like a rocket, leaving the Seven attackers gasping and the only person who looked capable of getting near to him as he raced to the posts, was referee Mr Breakspear; Kris Jones added the extra points with a dropped goal, 14-0.

Whilst this score boosted the home side, it had the same effect on the visitors who took the game to Trebanos with no little skill and were trying to play the type of game which suits the 'Banos side.  Five minutes after the last score, the ball was turned over by the tireless home forwards and moved to the irrepressible Luke Griffiths, who Sam Davies Trysidestepped the first tackle and made ground, before a neat kick ahead saw the ball bounce really high and chasing wing Sam Davies, jumping up and only managing to knock the ball upwards with his first attempt to take it, but then re-gathered it and raced over the line with Luke in support; Luke adding the conversion, 21-0.  This was the score that seemed to deflate the visitors somewhat, although they kept trying to play an up tempo game, they weren't the same threat as earlier in the half, Mr Breakspear blowing for half time with no further score.

Half Time: Trebanos 21 Seven Sisters 0

Trebanos made a change on the left wing at half-time with Kieron Weightman replacing hard working Dave Skone. Seven kicked off the second half, and for those that were present in Aberavon on Tuesday evening, it brought back a sense of Déjà Vu, as the kick was not fielded and was taken by a Seven forward who charged past the home 22 mtr line and set up a ruck, putting 'Banos under pressure from the re-start.  However this time the pack somehow managed to turn the ball over and outside half Kris Jones cleared the pressure with a fine touch finder, some 35mtr upfield.  There was just five minutes gone of the second half, when at the first scrum, which came under pressure, No8 Rhod Williams quickly got Iwan Davies Trythe ball to Shaun Lewis, who went to the short side supported by Luke Griffiths; Shaun drew the cover and fed Luke, who returned the favour; Shaun made ground, passed to Sam Davies who was tackled into touch, but had made the ball available and it was taken infield; Shaun, again went to the blind side for workaholic lock Rhys Morgan to feed flanker Iwan Davies who dived over in the corner, for the bonus point try; the conversion narrowly missed, 26-0.

Sam Davies was injured in the move that led to the try and had to leave the field, being replaced by Shaun Lewis, who was then replaced by Nathan Jones at scrum half.  Trebanos made a double change with Luke Turton replacing scrum anchor Alun Dew and Lloyd Phillips replacing Llyr Davies in the centre.  The game was being played between the home 10mtr and visitors' 22mtr lines, with any threat from Seven being repelled before it could develop; Trebanos were forced into another change, when influential No8 Rhodri Williams had to leave the field, with hooker "Twm" Kieron Weightman TryThomas moving back and Chris Foreshaw taking over the hooking duties. The home side  again being the side most likely to break through, during this period, and so it proved with replacement wing Shaun Lewis being set free, he sped up the right wing and cut back inside on the visitors 22mtr line, was tackled and received immediate support from his forwards, who provided quick ball which was spun left, through the threequarters for left wing Kieron Weightman to go over about 10mtr from the corner, once again the conversion failed, 31-0.

Back came the Seven forwards and when a penalty was put into touch just inside the home 22mtr line, they secured the ball and formed a rolling maul which, snail like, crawled towards the 'Banos line, duly crossing for Mr Breakspear to award the try, after 30min of the second half, which was converted by centre K Davies 31-7.  Seven were unable to mount another serious threat as the tempo of Trebanos' play seemed to have drained their energy reserves and the rest of the game was played on or around the visitors' 10mtr line.  Mr Breakspear, who had an excellent match, blew for full time with no further scores.

Trebanos had secured not the two points, needed for the title, but five which left them in an unassailable position at the top of National League, Division 1 West Central.  Another historic day in the long and proud history of Trebanos Rugby Football Club.  Club Captain Rhys "Twm" Thomas received the WRU trophy from district representative Geraint Edwards of Dunvant RFC.


The jubilant after match scenes were tinged with sadness as it has been a traumatic year for the club and, particularly, for the families involved.  Please spare some thoughts for the families as Saturday's triumph was a day of mixed emotions for the families of those stalwarts no longer with us.

Full Time: Trebanos 31 Seven Sisters 7

  Trebanos RFC
Luke Griffiths
Sam Davies
Llyr Davies
Steffan Lewis
Dave Skone
Kristian Jones
Shaun Lewis
Aled Humphries
Rhys Thomas (Capt.)
Alun Dew
Rhys Morgan
Richard Davies
Iwan Davies
Rhodri Williams
Ben Williams
Chris Foreshaw (repl. Rhodri Williams, 58 mins)
Luke Turton (repl. Alun Dew, 52 mins)
Lloyd Phillips (repl. Llyr Davies, 52 mins)
Nathan Jones (repl. Sam Davies, 45 mins)
Kieron Weightman (repl. Dave Skone, 40 mins)
Referee: Mr Ben Breakspear, Abercynon.

This week's other National League Division 1 West Central Results:

Saturday 6th May 2017: Builth Wells 17 Bonymaen 15
Wednesday 10th May 2017: Ystalyfera 12 Bonymaen 43
Saturday 13th May 2017: Ystalyfera 26 Aberavon Quins 32