Trebanos 43 Beddau 15

Saturday 4th November 2017

WRU National Championship

'Banos Relish Being Home At Last

Back at the "Park" at long last and in the Chairman's notes, Mr Penhale welcomed our visitors and hoped for an "entertaining game", well that's exactly what the sides provided, a game that was competitive, full on, and entertaining from the first to the last whistle.  Both teams lined up in silent tribute to the victims of an early morning fatal crash that happened half a mile from the Park just a few hours earlier; the club sends its sincere condolences to the families of all concerned.

Hywel Chatham kicked off for the visitors and captain "Twm" Thomas took the kick and set up a ruck, the ball was moved through the hands, but when the ball carrier was isolated and held on to the ball in the tackle, Mr Davies quickly blew for the infringement and Beddau were presented with the perfect start as outside half Chatham slotted over a simple kick straight in front of the posts for a 0-3 lead within the first two minutes.

Trebanos 43 Beddau 15Trebanos were given early warning of Beddau's intentions to play attacking rugby when they quickly worked an overlap, with right wing Joe Casella sprinting for the corner, only to be stopped by a try saving tackle from full back Luke Griffiths mtrs from the home line; Mr Davies, who was consistent in his refereeing of the tackle area, blew for a penalty to the home side and the pressure was eased with a relieving kick and lineout. 'Banos appeared to be spurred on by this early setback and took the game to their bigger and heavier visitors, with another example of the rolling maul gaining some thirty mtr, before the ball was moved to the backs who seemed to relish being back on home turf.  The ball was moved through the hands, first to the right and when that was halted the ball was swiftly moved left, with 'Banos showing an eagerness to pull the visitors one way then another in their search for gaps; well the cover just about held and Beddau were penalised at the ensuing ruck and with Mr Davies playing an advantage, the ball was offloaded through the forwards until it got to "Twm's" grateful arms and he forced his way over the line for the game's first try, which Matthew Edwards converted to take the lead to 7-3 after ten min play.

Trebanos 43 Beddau 15Trebanos were full of confidence and were harrying the visitors into making mistakes, by first up tackles forcing Beddau behind the advantage line and two minutes after the first score, 'Banos' own "Interceptor", Sam Davies was at it again as he read the pass to his opposite number brilliantly and set off for the try line 40mtr away for Matthew Edwards to convert to extend the lead to 14-3 on twelve min.  However, the celebrations were muted as Rhys Thomas sustained what looked like a nasty knee injury and was carried from the field, to be replaced by Bryn Ap Llwyd, with Jack Perkins moving up to the front row and the captaincy to centre Steff Lewis.

The game ebbed and flowed with both sides showing a refreshing commitment to moving the ball through the hand and it was living up to Mr Penhale's hope of being entertaining.  The next score came when scrum half Tom Lucas broke through, at broken play on the left wing, and found the in-form Sam Davies at his elbow, Tom drew the Beddau cover and timed his pass to perfection for Sam to dive over midway between the corner flag and the goalposts, with Matthew Edwards to convert to increase the lead to 21-3 on thirty two minutes.

Trebanos 43 Beddau 15Matthew had his kicking boots on five minutes later when Mr Davies penalised Beddau at the tackle some forty mtr out in front of the posts, he was successful and stretched the lead to 24-3.

Beddau, who were full of attacking intent, moved the ball to the left and then to the right and right wing Joe Casella eluded the cover to dive over in the corner for Hywel Chatham to convert the try with a fine kick to cut the lead to 24-10.

From the restart Tom Dew jumped and caught the kick and was away on a forty mtr dash to the line with Matthew Edwards in support, but Tom just about got there with would be tacklers in his wake; Matthew's conversion attempt was just wide; Mr Davies blew for half time with the score 29-10 and with 46 min on the watch, as the injury to Rhys Thomas accounted for much of that.

Half Time: Trebanos 29 Beddau 10

Trebanos 43 Beddau 15Beddau started the second half at a much higher tempo than was seen during the first period and not only took the game to the home side, but when 'Banos' attacks were stopped, Beddau counter attacked with some intensity and it was no surprise that they were the first to trouble the score board operators, moving the ball one way then the other with centre Peter Connolly scoring wide out, the conversion attempt failing, to reduce the lead to 29-15 on ten min of the second half.

The coaching team brought on Tyler Murvai for the impressive Aled Humphries in the front row on the hour mark; shortly after, Tom Dew turned provider with a searing break through the middle and his pass to the support on the outside appeared to have been deliberately knocked forward by the lone defender, the ball popped up to outside half Lewis Humphries and with Mr Davies playing another advantage Lewis scorched to the line for Matthew to add the extra points to stretch the lead to 36-15 with sixty three min played.

Trebanos then made further changes with Morgan Evans for Tom Lucas at scrum half, Lloyd Phillips for Tom Dew at centre and Declan Bale for Ed Couzens at lock.  When Tyler Murvai was brought on, an astute judge commented that "he was not just big, but also an useful footballer as well", and so it proved for the next score, when Tyler burst through several Beddau players to pick up a loose ball, made ground before slipping a neat pass to Steff Lewis who pinned back his ears and dived over the line, a try which Matthew Edwards again converted to take the score to 43-15.

The game finished with the visitors a man down as outside half, Hywel Chatham, was dismissed for foul play, (which in my opinion was more frustration than malice) in front of Mr Davies, who was left with little choice.  It was a pity that incident should have marred a fine example of two sides trying to play a fast and open game, with all the players on both sides contributing towards an enthralling and exciting match. Thank you all! The injury to Rhys Thomas, fortunately, does not seem to be as serious as it first appeared and hopefully after some TLC, his trademark blue bonnet should be once again seen bobbing about the park, and we wish him a speedy recovery.

Full Time: Trebanos 43 Beddau 15

  Trebanos RFC
Luke Griffiths
Matthew Edwards
Tom Dew
Steffan Lewis
Sam Davies
Lewis Humphries
Tom Lucas
Aled Humphries
Rhys Thomas (Capt.)
Alun Dew
Rhys Morgan
Ed Couzens
Ben Williams
Iwan Davies
Jack Perkins
Tyler Murvai (repl. Aled Humphries, 60 mins)
Declan Bale (repl. Ed Couzens, 64 mins)
Bryn ap Llwyd (repl. Rhys Thomas, 12 mins)
Morgan Evans (repl. Tom Lucas, 64 mins)
Lloyd Phillips (repl. Tom Dew, 64 mins)
Referee: Mr. Andy Davies, Aberystwyth.

Today's other WRU National Championship Results:

Cardiff Met 35 Skewen 10
Glynneath 13 Newbridge 17
Newcastle Emlyn 10 Pontypool 62
Rhydyfelin 24 Bedlinog 16
Tata Steel 31 Narberth 35