Bedlinog 0 Trebanos 28

Saturday 2nd September 2017

WRU National Championship

Trebanos Make Dream Start On Championship Debut

After a long hot summer (I wish), the faithful were back on the road to mark the start of the 2017 league season; they had travelled in numbers to the village of Bedlinog to support their favourites' in their first match in the WRU Championship after last season's heroics.  A few of last season's faces have moved on to pastures new and the club wish them well, and would like to thank them for their efforts and commitment to the 'Banos cause; there will always be a welcome with a glass and a chance to share the craic whenever you are in the club.

Bedlinog v TrebanosOutside half Lewis Humphries' kick-off was taken by Rhys Morgan just past the 10mtr line and the visitors soon had an early "feel" of the ball as it was moved amongst the forwards, before scrum half Morgan Evans fed the backs, but the attack was met by resolute tackling from the home side, who, after a shaky start, were matching their visitors early high tempo, with experienced No 8 G Williams and outside half L Jones orchestrating the home side's efforts, with the game being played between the halfway and home twenty two mtr lines.  The Trebanos forwards were making life difficult for their hosts, both in the loose and the set pieces; where the hard work of the close season was becoming evident.  The differing tactics were starting to emerge with 'Banos continuing with the fast tempo game that has become something of a trademark, and home outside half L Jones kicking for position.

The home side had the first opportunity to open the scoring when referee Mr Aled Evans penalised Trebanos at a ruck on their 10mtr line about 15mtr from touch; full back D Parry's kick hit an upright and fell to Rhys (Twm) Thomas on his 22mtr line, Twm  thought about kicking to touch for a nano second and then ran the ball back, linking with Steff Lewis and Llyr Davies who showed his strength by breaking the first tackle but the covering home players managed to smother the attack which got just beyond the halfway line.   Trebanos continued to play an up tempo game which was starting to have an effect on the home side and despite the odd uncharacteristic mistake, (which cost them a couple of scoring chances), Bedlinog v Trebanosstuck to their game plan.  Mr Evans awarded Trebanos a scrum six or seven mtr from the home try line, the forwards responded by methodically marching their opponents back over their line, just before No 8 Sean Hopkins got to the line, one of the home forwards dived on the ball before Sean had been able to get the ball over the line, Mr Evans had no hesitation in awarding a penalty try, and with the law change regarding the inclusion of the conversion, Trebanos held a seven point lead after eighteen minutes.

The rest of the half promised more points for the visitors, but unfortunately the errors continued along with an uncharacteristic number of penalties being coughed up allowing Bedlinog to keep the score at 0-7.

Half Time: Bedlinog 0 Trebanos 7

It was now the home side's turn to play down the slight slope and, as expected, they took the game to the visitors Bedlinog v Trebanosthrough their forwards with No 10 L Jones again kicking for position and again 'Banos running the ball back at them, much as had happened during the first period.  Mr Evans penalised the home side on their 10 mtr line, Luke Griffiths put in a lovely kick to find touch just outside the 5 mtr line, Trebanos won the lineout and drove towards the try line, the home forwards appeared to have disrupted the drive just short of the line, but a pod of four players had broken off and drove over the line for Sean Hopkins to score close to the right corner, Luke Griffiths put over the conversion for the extra points for a lead of 0-14 after 10 minutes of the second half.

The score appeared to have motivated the Bedlinog v Trebanoshome side who for the first time in the game put Trebanos under a period of sustained pressure and gave their supporters hope of an early score, but they found the 'Banos defence as organised and, just as important, very disciplined when defending and it was if it was two different games, when in the first half penalties had been conceded wantonly, the team were now showing tremendous resolve in maintaining their defensive integrity to rebuff the attacks and even run the ball out of defence when the ball was turned over, the game was now a real "match".  Trebanos made a couple of changes 17 min in to the second half with Neil Elworthy taking over from Alun Dew at tight head and Ben Williams giving way to Iwan Davies in the back row.  The half backs were changed a little later with Laurence Howley and Tom Lucas, replacing Lewis Humphries and Morgan Evans.  Trebanos had weathered the storm and struck again after 30 min, from a scrum on the home 10mtr line No8 Sean Lewis fed Tom Lucas, who broke to the blind side, drew the cover before passing to Luke Griffiths, who similarly drew the home full back and passed to Llyr Davies who ran in behind the posts for Luke Griffiths to convert 0-21.

Bedlinog were now under similar pressure to the first half, but this time 'Banos were not making the mistakes or showing the poor discipline which prevented them from increasing the pressure, and it took its toll with a member of the home back row being given ten minutes in the bin. Trebanos brought on Tyler Murvai at loose head in place of Aled Humphries; from a scrum just outside the home 22mtr line, Tom Lucas took the ball, looked up, saw no flanker and set off at a rate of knots, went around the fullback and dived over for a fine individual try which secured a bonus point for Trebanos. Luke Griffiths obliged with the conversion to take the lead to 0-28.  Two minutes later the referee, Mr Aled Evans, who had a fine game blew for full time to give Trebanos the start in the Championship that could only be dreamt of; well done to everyone involved.

Full Time: Bedlinog 0 Trebanos 28

  Trebanos RFC
Luke Griffiths
Sam Davies
Lloyd Phillips
Steffan Lewis
Llyr Davies
Lewis Humphries
Morgan Evans
Aled Humphries
Rhys Thomas (Capt.)
Alun Dew
Rhys Morgan
Richard Davies
Ben Williams
Sean Hopkins
Rhodri Williams
Tyler Murvai (repl. Aled Humphries, 75 min)
Neil Elworthy (repl. Alun Dew, 57 mins)
Iwan Davies (repl. Ben Williams, 57 mins)
Tom Lucas (repl. Morgan Evans, 62 mins)
Laurence Howley (repl. Lewis Humphries, 60m)
Referee: Mr. Aled Evans

Today's other WRU National Championship Results:

Beddau 27 Glynneath 14
Narberth 35 Newbridge 19
Pontypool 27 Rhydyfelin 0
Skewen 21 Newcastle Emlyn 17
Tata Steel 27 Cardiff Met 22