Narberth 27 Trebanos 23

Saturday 14th October 2017

WRU National Championship

Depeleted 'Banos Just Overhauled In Closing Minutes

The first visit of Trebanos RFC to Narberth was also their fifth away game of the opening seven and the third consecutive match that the faithful had to travel by bus, car and shank's pony.  It might have been a case of bus-lag for the players as well as our favourites came second, but still bagged an all important bonus point to take away from the Lewis-Lloyd ground.

Trebanos kicked off and Usk referee Mr Richard Deacey ruled that the kick had not travelled 10mtr, when Iwan Davies jumped and tapped it back towards his team mates.  From the scrum on the half way line Narberth immediately attacked through their speedy backline and moved the ball right only for right wing Liam Hutchings to set off diagonally across the field on a strong run that stretched the 'Banos defence which managed to close out the threat.  The Otters continued to press, but dropped the ball between the 10 and 22mtr lines; Alun Dew snapped it up and fed Lewis Humphries who put in a deft kick behind the onrushing defenders to give Lloyd Phillips and Matthew Edwards an easy chase and dribble on to the try line for Lloyd Phillips to score the first try of the game, Matthew Edwards converting for a 0-7 lead on 3minutes.  A minute after the re-start, the Trebanos backs were ruled offside about 35mtr out, up stepped home outside half Jonathan Rogers and cut Trebanos' lead with an effortless kick, 3-7.

The Trebanos scrum was more than holding its own and from a solid scrum, Rhodri Williams picked up and went across the advantage line for second row Rhys Morgan to pick up and charge forward, he linked up with namesake Rhys Thomas and more metres were gained before Tom Lucas fed the backline with quick passing and the ball got to Steff Lewis, who had timed his run perfectly, to straighten and cross near the posts for Matthew Edwards to add the extra points with a simple conversion 3-14 on 11min.

Matthew Edwards was then shown a yellow card by Mr Deacey for what appeared to be more a collision than a deliberate late tackle on opposite number James Stephenson, which left the Narberth full-back with a shoulder injury that ruled him out of the rest of the match; it was only when the injured player was leaving the field that the yellow card was shown to Matthew.  Three minutes later 'Banos were penalised for not rolling away from the tackle some thirty mtr out and again Jonathan Rogers put over a simple kick to make the score 6-14.

Narberth were trying to make their extra man count and worked left wing Kieran Jones clear with slick handling for the winger to go over in the corner, the conversion attempt missing to leave the scores at 11-14 on 27min.

Trebanos continued to be a man down despite the 10 min binning period appearing to have been served; Trebanos were playing their usual high tempo game and moved the ball along the back line whenever they could, one such move ended when centre Steff Lewis was high tackled, with Mr Deacey awarding the penalty; it was during this break that Matthew Edwards returned to the field and his first action was to kick the penalty to make the score 11-17 on 31min.

Try scorer Kieron Jones was shown a yellow card for a deliberate shoulder charge from behind into the back of Rhys Morgan, which saw the second row having to receive attention before continuing. The faithful were rewarded with typical 'Banos panache, with second row Richard Davies breaking off a maul and galloping up field, linking with Ben Williams, and Rhys Thomas, from the ruck the ball was moved swiftly along the backline, but the cover just about tackled Lloyd Phillips. Mr Deacey again penalised the home side at the tackle, up stepped Matthew Edwards to slot over the kick to make it 11-20 on 39min. with no further scores, Mr Deacey blew for the end of an incident and action packed first half.

Half Time: Narberth 11 Trebanos 20

Where the first half had ebbed and flowed with both sides enjoying equal measures of success, the second was to prove far more one sided, with the home side seeming to be revitalised, whilst 'Banos were unable to gain any sort of worthwhile possession or territory and were subsequently engaged in defending for almost the whole second period.  Trebanos were defending inside their 22 when Lewis Humphries was shown their second yellow for killing the ball, the penalty attempt missing.  Trebanos then made some substitutions, Aled Humphries for Tyler Murvai and Aaron Bramwell for Lloyd Phillips, with Lewis returning from the bin, but still found themselves having to defend, but conceded a penalty on their 10 mtr line, a kick which Narberth replacement Ianto Evans made to look simple to take the score to 14-20 on 62min.

Luke Griffiths replaced Kieron Weightman, with Matthew Edwards moving to the wing.  Trebanos were again reduced to fourteen men when Aaron Bramwell was yellow carded in the 72min.  The Trebanos defence which had held firm despite tremendous home pressure and which had elicited much praise from the large contingent of home fans, finally broke with centre Jack Price finding a vital gap in the cover to cross for the home side's second try, with Ianto Evans converting to take the lead 21-20 for the first time on 74min.

Trebanos fought back and right wing Sam Davies made inroads in the home defence, the ball was then moved left, with Mr Deacey playing advantage for the home backs being offside in midfield, with no advantage ensuing, he awarded the penalty and Matthew Edwards coolly put it over to regain the lead 21-23 on 76min.

Trebanos fielded the restart and were awarded a penalty when Mr Deacey reversed his decision and showed a red card to prop Aled Humphries for illegal use of the boot, up stepped Ianto Evans and with a very good kick regained the lead 24-23 on 79min.

Trebanos found the energy to launch another series of attacks and even though they were back up to fourteen men, they took the game to their hosts, but were again penalised just inside their half for Ianto Evans to put over yet another good kick to seal the home win 27-23 on 83min.  Mr Deacey then blew for full time.

Full Time: Narberth 27 Trebanos 23

  Trebanos RFC
Luke Griffiths
Kieron Weightman
Lloyd Phillips
Steffan Lewis
Sam Davies
Lewis Humphries
Tom Lucas
Tyler Murvai
Rhys Thomas (Capt.)
Alun Dew
Rhys Morgan
Richard Davies
Ben Williams
Rhodri Williams
Iwan Davies
Aled Humphries (repl. Tyler Murvai, 58 mins)
Jack Perkins
Morgan Evans (repl. Tom Lucas, 60 mins)
Luke Griffiths (repl. Kieron Weightman, 65 min)
Aaron Bramwell (repl. Lloyd Phillips, 58 mins)
Referee: Mr. Richard Deacey, Usk

Today's other WRU National Championship Results:

Beddau 31 Cardiff Met 5
Bedlinog 25 Tata Steel 10
Glynneath 23 Rhydyfelin 18
Newbridge 36 Newcastle Emlyn 17
Pontypool 38 Skewen 10