Newbridge 3 Trebanos 10

Saturday 28th October 2017

WRU National Championship

Super Sam's Interception Undoes Superb Newbridge Defence

Because of last week's postponement of the home game against Glynneath, this was the sixth game of eight, played away from home and the faithful were obliged once again to "get on yer bike", this time a first visit to the Welfare Ground, home to Newbridge RFC; a former powerhouse of Welsh rugby.

The home side kicked off against a light breeze, and the ball was allowed to bounce between two Trebanos players to roll into touch midway between the 10 and 22mtr lines.  Trebanos won the lineout and moved the ball along the backline to the left, but found little space out wide as the home team's defence was alert and well organised.  This was to be the pattern of the first half with no clear cut chances being created from set play, the best chance came to the visitors on ten minutes when they won lineout ball about thirty mtr out, formed a maul and literally walked their bigger and heavier opponents to the Newbridge try line, only to lose the ball within inches of the line.  Trebanos continued to press the home side and despite having to battle in the scrum, they still managed to secure decent ball and enjoyed more territorial possession, but were unable to find the elusive score as the last pass was failing or the ball was lost in the tackle, which allowed the home side to ease the pressure or set up counter attacks, which the 'Banos defence coped with comfortably, apart from one occasion, where the Newbridge outside centre brushed off four tacklers, before finally being tackled into touch some five mtr from the corner flag after a fine bullocking run.

Trebanos chose to go for broke on two kickable penalties, but were unable to cross the whitewash and on both occasions came away empty handed, but undaunted in their self-belief, they came close to scoring before half-time with another rolling maul of twenty plus mtr, only to fall agonisingly short a second time and with 42 min on the clock Mr Roberts blew for the end of a scoreless, though enthralling first half.

Half Time: Newbridge 0 Trebanos 0

The second half started as the first half had finished with Trebanos trying to play their normal running game, only to be met by an equally determined Newbridge defence which, spearheaded by their excellent backrow, were giving the 'Banos plenty to think about.  The deadlock looked about to be broken when Tom Dew was worked clear and after a fine run, delayed his pass to the supporting Luke Griffiths just a fraction too long and the chance had gone.  Newbridge finally got into the Trebanos half after some fifteen minutes play and were awarded a penalty at a scrum for a binding offence; up stepped their impressive outside half, who looked as if he had just jogged out onto the heavy pitch as his kit was still immaculate and put over a good kick for  a 3-0 lead.

'Banos made a couple of changes at this point with Iwan Davies and Morgan Evans, being replaced by Ben Williams and Nathan Jones.  Two minutes later the outside half was back in almost the same spot, but this time he pulled his kick well wide of the left upright.  The Trebanos set piece had improved in the second half and Sam Davies put in a few raking touch finders to peg back the home side, with 'Banos putting a little more variation into their game which they didn't do in the first period and were rewarded when Mr Roberts penalised the home side for offside some 35 mtr out, "Twm" called up Luke Griffiths who despite the heavy ground bisected the uprights to level the scores 3-3 on 67min.

Everyone was aware that the next score would be crucial and so it proved, Trebanos continued to pressure the home side and with five minutes left on the clock, Newbridge took a leaf out of Trebanos' book and tried to run the ball out of  defence; Sam Davies, who was having a fine game, read the situation superbly and took the pass intended for the home centre, and was under the posts in a flash to give Luke a simple conversion for the lead 3-10.

Newbridge threw everything at Trebanos and when they were awarded a straightforward penalty, they chose to kick to touch and go for a try and conversion to square the match.  Some of the players and some of the supporters thought that the kick had gone out of play in the dead ball area, but the Trebanos touch judge (honest as the day is long, as befits a member of Her Majesty's Constabulary), put his flag up and assured Mr Roberts that the kick was good, well done that man!  This was to be another test of Trebanos' renowned defence and what a six minutes it was with every drive, maul and dart being swamped by an all encompassing blanket of Trebanos players who all put their bodies on the line with scant regard for their welfare and all the 'Banosians, both on and off the field, were mightily relieved to hear Mr Roberts' final whistle after some 83 minutes play

Full Time: Newbridge 3 Trebanos 10

  Trebanos RFC
Luke Griffiths
Tom Dew
Lloyd Phillips
Steffan Lewis
Dave Skone
Sam Davies
Morgan Evans
Aled Humphries
Rhys Thomas (Capt.)
Alun Dew
Rhys Morgan
Ed Couzens
Iwan Davies
Rhodri Williams
Jack Perkins
Tyler Murvai (repl. Alun Dew, 65 mins)
Ben Williams (repl. Iwan Davies , 55 mins)
Nathan Jones (repl. Morgan Evans, 55 mins)
Bryn ap Llwyd
Tom Lucas
Referee: Mr. Gavin Roberts, Cirencester

Today's other WRU National Championship Results:

Beddau 14 Rhydyfelin 22
Bedlinog 19 Newcastle Emlyn 16
Narberth 27 Glynneath 3
Pontypool 74 Cardiff Met 14
Skewen 23 Tata Steel 25