Rhydyfelin 20 Trebanos 31

Saturday 30th September 2017

WRU National Championship

Pulsating Encounter Ends In Bonus Point Win For 'Banos

Trebanos travelled to the outskirts of Pontypridd buoyed by their victory over Newcastle Emlyn last week, to face a tough challenge from fellow newcomers Rhydyfelin who had won promotion to the championship by winning the East division, and subsequent play-offs.

"Twm" Thomas led his players out to a warm welcome from the many members of the faithful who had braved the poor conditions to get to the ground; the visitors soon showed once again that they had come to play an up tempo game, with backs and forwards inter-passing from the start, and outside half Kris Jones, mixing the approach with chips or long kicks to gain ground, the game being played almost entirely in the home team's half.  Centre Steff Lewis again showed tremendous tackling ability and technique when he drove the Rhydyfelin right wing, Gavin Close, back several yards when he tried to break the 'Banos defensive line, and with the live wire back row scavenging the tackle area, Trebanos won the ball and again re-applied the pressure on their hosts.  It was from a rock solid scrum on the home 10mtr line that No8 Rhodri Williams broke and fed Morgan Evans, who passed to Matthew Edwards, on to Sam Davies, who in turn passed inside to the supporting Rod Williams, who unselfishly passed back to Scrum-half Morgan Evans to dive over 15 mtr from the right corner flag for a fine team score which Matthew Edwards converted to give Trebanos a deserved led of 0-7 after 11minutes play.

Home No8 Sam Studley was galvanising his side and was the catalyst for the driving play of their forwards, who were starting to make ground, although slowly, against another well organised Trebanos defence.  Their efforts were rewarded after 15minutes, when referee Mr Allsop penalised Trebanos at the tackle on their 10mtr line; up stepped the home full-back David Gratton to send his kick sailing over the posts with metres to spare to make the score 3-7.

Trebanos took play to the home side's half and were pressing again with a fast tempo game and were rewarded with a scrum some 7/8 mtr out; No8 Rhodri Williams picked up and spun out of the first tackle before making the ball available, Morgan Evans whipped the ball out to loose head prop Tyler Murvai who was driven over from short range by Rhys Morgan for a smart try which Matthew Edwards converted to increase the lead to 3-14 after 20min play.

Back came Rhydyfelin with their forwards picking and driving and gaining ground slowly; Mr Allsop awarded a scrum just outside the 'Banos 22mtr line and appeared to block Morgan Evans from tackling No8 Sam Studley, who fed scrum half Macauley Griffiths, who passed to left wing Jordan Rees, he rounded the cover and was tackled just short of the try line, but managed to flip the ball inside to the supporting scrum half, for a good try in the corner; the conversion missed to leave the score 8-14.

The home side enjoyed their best period so far in the match having the majority of possession although the game was being played around the halfway mark; Rhydyfelin moved the ball left and the move was halted on the 'Banos 22mtr line, but the attack was moved right at speed for right wing Gavin Close to go over in the corner for a try which David Gratton converted to take the lead at 15-14.

Trebanos attacked from the restart and the game was again being played deep in home territory and on 40min Mr Allsop penalised the Rhydyfelin backs for offside under their posts for Matthew Edwards to put over the simplest of penalties to regain the lead 15-17.

Rhydyfelin were then awarded a kickable penalty just outside the 'Banos 22mtr line, but chose to go for the try and kicked to touch.  At the lineout Tyler Murvai was adjudged to have taken the jumper in the air and was despatched to the bin for ten minutes by Mr Allsop; at the subsequent lineout, the excellent Ben Williams stole the ball at the back of the line, powered forward and the danger was cleared as Morgan Evans kicked the ball out of play to end 45 minutes of pulsating rugby from both teams.

Half Time: Rhydyfelin 15 Trebanos 17

Rhydyfelin kicked off against the fourteen men of Trebanos, who were soon bringing on replacement prop Alun Dew to scrummage inside their 22mtr line, with Ben Williams giving way.  Trebanos worked their way into the home half and the attack was stopped when left wing Jordan Rees was adjudged to have tip tackled Tom Dew, and Mr Allsop invited him to join Trebanos' prop in the sin bin.  With his ten minutes in the bin up, Tyler Murvai returned, with tight head Neil Elworthy leaving and Ben Williams also returning.  Trebanos took full advantage of the binning four minutes later, attacking through their speedy backs for the ball to reach Matthew Edwards as he cut the line to score halfway between post and corner flag and added the conversion to increase the lead to 15-24 after 11min of the second half.

Ten minutes later with 'Banos attacking on the home 22mtr line, Rhydyfelin turned the ball over and tried to run out of defence but, dropped the ball which was fly hacked forward and Tom Dew's pace allowed him to dive on the ball just before it reached the dead ball line for a bonus point try; up stepped the reliable Matthew Edwards to convert for a seemingly comfortable lead of 15-31.

Trebanos made a number of changes: Nathan Jones for Morgan Evans, Luke Griffiths for Matthew Edwards and Bryn Jones for Jack Perkins.  Rhydyfelin took the game to their visitors, but were met with steadfast tackling from the visitors.  Trebanos had a couple of chances to make the game safe, breaking the line, but unfortunately took the wrong option when a simple pass would have put the supporting players clear, but the opportunities were not translated into points.  Rhydyfelin continued to play attacking rugby and were rewarded when centre Ross Lucas missed out his co-centre and passed directly to livewire left wing Jordan Rees, who dived over in the corner for another good try to cut 'Banos' lead to 20-31 with eight minutes to go, the conversion attempt failed.

That was the last time that the visitors' line was under direct threat and for the last five minutes the 'Banos backs put the ball deep into the home side's corners and invited them to try and score from long distance; indeed Mr Allsop blew for full time with play still in the Rhydyfelin half.

Both sides enjoyed periods of dominance in this game, but Trebanos were able to take more of the chances that came their way and all concerned will be very pleased with maximum points from the trip east.

Full Time: Rhydyfelin 20 Trebanos 31

  Trebanos RFC
Matthew Edwards
Sam Davies
Tom Dew
Steffan Lewis
Kieron Weightman
Kristian Jones
Shaun Lewis
Tyler Murvai
Rhys Thomas (Capt.)
Neil Elworthy
Rhys Morgan
Richard Davies
Ben Williams
Rhodri Williams
Jack Perkins
Alun Dew (repl. Neil Elworthy, 50 mins)
Declan Bale (repl. Richard Davies, 68 mins)
Bryn Jones (repl. Jack Perkins, 62 mins)
Nathan Jones (repl. Morgan Evans, 62 mins)
Luke Griffiths (repl. Matthew Edwards, 62 mins)
Referee: Mr. Stephen Allsop, Caldicot.

Today's other WRU National Championship Results:

Cardiff Met 7 Newbridge 33
Newcastle Emlyn 22 Glynneath 11
Pontypool 29 Narberth 0
Skewen 23 Bedlinog 22
Tata Steel 20 Beddau 15