Trebanos 7 Rhydyfelin 0

Saturday 20th January 2018

WRU National Championship

Defences On Top In Difficult Conditions

Trebanos welcomed fellow Championship newcomers Rhydyfelin, to the Park for the first time; unfortunately it was on a dreary January afternoon after a week of almost non-stop rain, and the village had endured several heavy showers, after the pitch inspection.

Trebanos v RhydyfelinRhydyfelin kicked off and the high ball was superbly taken by Bryn Jones, who went to ground and the ball was set up for the pack to ruck over, Morgan Evans passed to his partner Sam Davies, but his clearance kick was charged down by Rhydyfelin scrum half Forest Quirke, who showed amazing anticipation and speed, the ball bounced kindly for him and he kicked it on, but as he tried to pick it up to go over the line, the referee Mr Williams who was up with play, ruled that he had knocked the ball on, so awarded Trebanos the put in at a scrum five.  The 'Banos eight in that first scrum set the scene for the remaining seventy seven minutes as they walked their opponents some 15mtr upfield before Mr Williams penalised the visitors for collapsing the rapidly moving scrum, and the first threat was cleared.

Trebanos v RhydyfelinBoth sides were showing an unflinching commitment at the tackle with shuddering collisions, the order of the day.  Trebanos were enjoying something of a territorial advantage in that the game was being played in the visitors half but were unable to convert the pressure into the first score.  The game bubbled over in the fourteenth minute when Rhydyfelin left wing Gavin Close was tackled into touch, Morgan Evans tried to secure the ball to take a quick throw in, but was prevented from doing so by his opposite number Forest Quirke, and their disagreement was taken up by other players, when everything calmed down, Mr Williams invited both scrum halves to cool their heels for ten minutes.

Trebanos v RhydyfelinThe game settled back into its previous pattern of Trebanos pressurising the visitors, whose defensive line speed was impressive and who were managing to stifle the 'Banos backline when they tried to move the ball.  Trebanos were awarded a scrum about 18mtr from the visitors try line and walked the Rhydyfelin scrum back at a rate of knots, and as the scrum crossed the line, the visitors front row disintegrated, with Mr Williams running to the posts to award a penalty try, 7-0 after 25min play.

The play continued to be in the visitors half for most of the remaining time of the first half with Rhydyfelin occasionally breaking out, but meeting sound tackling from the home side; on one of these, a visiting player was seen by most of the riverbank crowd to pick up Morgan Evans and appear to drive him head first into the ground; again there followed a "general disagreement" amongst the players and when it had cooled down Mr Williams, who obviously hadn't witnessed the initial incident, restarted play with a scrum; there was no further score and it remained a 7-0 advantage to the home side at half time.

Half Time: Trebanos 7 Rhydyfelin 0

Both sides took to the changing rooms to change their kit owing to the deteriorating conditions Trebanos v Rhydyfelinand the "faithful" could have been forgiven for thinking that the second half would have followed the pattern of the first, but Rhydyfelin seemed to have been re-energised by the break and took the game to the home side with a determination that saw them set up camp on the home 22 for long periods.  As the game progressed, the conditions deteriorated even more, with the ground cutting up and the game was being played up front by the "piano shifters".  It was only the proven defensive qualities of the home side that was able to keep the Rhydyfelin attacks at bay, indeed it was plain to see how the visitors had enjoyed four victories in their last six games, as they hammered away at the well organised and determined defence.

Morgan Evans and Lloyd Phillips, were replaced by Tom Lucas and Tom Dew on 56 min, with Dan Robertshaw making his 'Banos debut by replacing Connor Walters on the hour mark.  Trebanos found it difficult to relieve the pressure as all their attempted clearance kicks were finding the covering back three of the visitors, who ran the ball back at them and it was only the prowess of the home Trebanos v Rhydyfelintacklers that kept them at bay. Sam Davies was unable to run off a leg injury that occurred in a tackle and was replaced by Will Ponty who slotted into the back row on 68min, forcing a re-shuffle with Matthew Edwards moving to 10, Kieron Weightman to 15 and Rhydian George to 11.

Trebanos were able to see out the rest of the game with the replacements showing the same resolve and commitment, and with the home scrummage continuing to dominate.  There was a combined sigh of relief when Mr Williams blew for full time after 84 minutes play to see Trebanos reap another four points to add to their tally.

This victory was built on another display of total commitment by all the players involved and I must break one of my rules and mention Tyler Murvai, Connor Walters, Alun Dew, Rhys Morgan, Edd Couzens, Iwan Davies, Rhydian George, Bryn Jones, Dan Robertshaw and Will Ponty, who laid the foundation for this win with a tremendous scrummaging display.  The forwards were more than supported by the backs who tackled as if their lives depended upon the result, and such was their contribution that there was not one cohesive attacking movement by the visitors.  Once again a big thank you to all the players for such committed performances in atrocious conditions.

Full Time: Trebanos 7 Rhydyfelin 0

  Trebanos RFC
Matthew Edwards
Dave Skone
Lloyd Phillips
Steffan Lewis
Kieron Weightman
Sam Davies
Morgan Evans
Tyler Murvai
Connor Walters
Alun Dew
Rhys Morgan (Capt.)
Ed Couzens
Iwan Davies
Bryn Jones
Rhydian George
Elliott Greenaway
Dan Robertshaw (repl. Connor Walters,60mins)
Will Ponty (repl. Sam Davies, 68 mins)
Tom Lucas (repl. Morgan Evans, 56 mins)
Tom Dew (repl. Lloyd Phillips, 56 mins)
Referee: Mr. Justin Williams, Llanelli

Today's other WRU National Championship Results:

Beddau 10 Tata Steel 14
Bedlinog 31 Skewen 16
Glynneath 7 Newcastle Emlyn 20
Newbridge 26 Cardiff Met 7
Narberth v Pontypool, Postponed.