Narberth 10 Trebanos 8

Saturday 16th February 2019

WRU National Championship

Bonus Point Is Scant Reward For Huge Commitment & Effort

Trebanos travelled westwards, along with the faithful, for the game at the Lewis Lloyd ground against high flying Narberth, who had climbed to third place in the league, hoping to reverse the result of the last match between these rivals, where Narberth just edged a close and competitive game.

The big home forwards were trying to impose themselves on their smaller visitors from the off but, as has been the case all season, the 'Banos pack were manfully competing for every metre of territory.  Once again the commitment to the cause was outstanding as Narberth tried to bludgeon their way to the try line, but were denied by the tackling of the visitors.  Mr Liddington penalised the 'banos front row several times when in midfield and the home side kicked for the corners and failed several times to capitalize on their opportunities, such was the quality of the Trebanos tackling.  This was the story for most of the first half hour of play, but then the 'Banos forwards and backs combined to get well into the Narberth half, and when Mr Liddington penalised the home side some thirty metres out centre Tom Dew put over a good kick in windy conditions to take the lead on 36min 0-3.

The game restarted and again Trebanos were back just outside the home 22mtr line when they lost the ball and from the ensuing ruck, home scrum half Lewis Gibby picked up and went through the smallest of gaps to the Trebanos 10mtr line where he was tackled by the cover defence, but Mr Liddington penalised Trebanos at the tackle, the home side kicked for the corner with the scoreboard clock showing 40 min.  The maul was stopped but the ball was moved right along the line, again meeting resolute tackling, but the home side kept the ball and were awarded another penalty, which they decided to scrummage; Mr Liddington awarded yet another penalty against the Trebanos front row; at the reset scrum he again penalised Trebanos and awarded a penalty try with 46min on the watch for Narberth to go in at half time 7-3 up.

Half Time: Narberth 7 Trebanos 3

The second half began much as the first half had started and finished with the home pack exerting pressure on the Trebanos scrum and lineout.  Tom Dew with a George North type interception silenced the home fans, who were roaring at Mr Liddington to award a penalty for a deliberate knock on, by gathering the ball (that he had knocked up rather than on), burst clear of the defence and was on his way to the try line when Mr Liddington blew up for an earlier knock on by Trebanos.  This was to lead to another set piece penalty after four minutes play, which was successfully turned into points by Narberth's top scorer Nick Gale to extend the lead to 10-3.

From the restart Trebanos won the ball and moved up field and tried to build some momentum, gradually gaining ground and holding onto possession, as they moved the ball from left to right looking for gaps, they found the home defence well organised.  But moving the ball to the right, the backs managed to work Llyr Davies into a little space for the first time, Llyr used his pace and power to break the first tackle and go around the cover for a good try, Tom Dew's conversion attempt rebounded off an upright to cut his side's deficit to 10-8 on 47min.

Narberth changed both their props and with Trebanos having earlier replaced Neil Elworthy and Evan Budge through injury, by Charlie Milne and Rhydian George respectively, were getting more into the game and were enjoying a greater share of possession than during the first half, only to be frustrated by the ball being slowed down by the opposition and tremendous tackling by the home side.  The game was now being played almost entirely in the home side's half and 'Banos came close to scoring again when Llyr Davies was stopped inches short of the line and home centre Jack Price was binned by Mr Liddington for killing the ball.  Trebanos secured the ball from the ensuing lineout, but it was lost during the maul and the opportunity was lost.

Narberth captain and second row Alex Jenkins had to leave the field through illness and as they had used all their subs, were obliged to play with thirteen men for just over a minute, before Jack Price returned.  Narberth held onto their lead for the remaining time, with Trebanos almost constantly on the attack, going through phase after phase, but still unable to get the breakthrough that they probably deserved and when Mr Liddington finally penalised the visitors after some 84 minutes, there was a huge sigh of relief from the home players, officials and their many supporters sitting in the stand.

The Trebanos coaches, players, club officials and supporters, will look at this fixture as another one that has slipped through the net, but will be greatly encouraged by the commitment and effort that was put into this match, which didn't get the reward that it deserved; keep tight and keep playing for each other, well done team!!!

Full Time: Narberth 10 Trebanos 8

  Trebanos RFC
Josh Ferriman
Llyr Davies
Tom Dew
Steffan Lewis
Dave Skone
Lewis Humphries
Robert Jones
Chris Forshaw
Rhys Thomas (Capt.)
Neil Elworthy
Cellan Michael
Jacob Blackmore
Iwan Davies
Rhodri Williams
Evan Budge
George Jawad
Charlie Milne (repl. Neil Elworthy, 44 mins)
Rhydian George (repl. Evan Budge, 46 mins)
Kieron Weightman (repl. Llyr Davies, 68 mins)
Trystan Edwards
Referee: Mr. Aled Liddington.

Today's other WRU National Championship Results:

Beddau 33 Tata Steel 20
Bedlinog 11 Maesteg Quins 21
Newbridge 21 Ystrad Rhondda 33
Pontypool 36 Newcastle Emlyn 24
Rhydyfelin 15 Cardiff Met 15